With the XXXIII Summer Olympics in Paris and the men’s UEFA Euro cup in Germany around the corner, 2024 promises to be a big year in sports. We will use this timely opportunity to discuss and research the recent challenges of international mega events, organized and leisure sports and their role in the history of the Rhine Ruhr Valley, Germany’s rust belt, a prime example of a post-industrial Western society.
Please find attached a poster and the flyer for “Sports – A Force for Good,” a novel summer abroad program that will take Johns Hopkins students to Germany from June 3 to June 15, 2024.
Among the highlights students can expect:
- A conversation with the IOC member Michael Mronz
- Joint seminars with graduate students in the MA program “International Sport Developments and Politics” at the German Sports University in Cologne
- A meeting with the 2023 FIBA Champions League Winners, the Telekom Baskets Bonn
- A workshop at the National Anti-Doping Agency
- A visit to the UNESCO Heritage Site Zeche Zollverein and the Ruhr Museum
- Entry to the Westfalen stadium of Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund (2024 Euro Cup venue) and the German Football Museum
- Joint seminar with undergraduate students at the University of Duisburg Essen
- A workshop at the Sport and Olympic Museum in Cologne,
- A tour of the Jewish Museum in Frankfurt
- Entry to the Waldstadion of Bundesliga club Eintracht Frankfurt and the club’s museum (2024 Euro Cup venue)
- … and much more!
Interested undergraduate students are invited to the Study Abroad Fair on Tuesday, February 13, 5-7 pm, in the Glass Pavilion. For more details, they are encouraged to join the zoom info session on Friday, February 16, at 11 am.
Deadline to apply: February 20, 2024. Commit by February 29, 2024.
For details and how to apply, please visit: https://studyabroad.jhu.edu/find-a-program/study-abroad-programs/hopkins-summer-abroad/