The Undergraduate History Association (UHA) seeks to increase engagement with the discipline of history among undergraduate students through panels, social events, networking events, and discourse. Furthermore, UHA seeks to increase engagement between the history department itself and the JHU community at large. This organization is open to everyone, including those who are not declared majors/minors.
The UHA has executive board meetings which meet once or twice a month and public meetings/events which occur three to four times per semester. Students can get more information or find specific meeting dates on Hopkins Groups.
Read more specifics in the Undergraduate History Association Constitution.
- President- Hilary Gallito
- Vice President- John Ellis
- Social Media Managers- Lillian Liu and Frances Leiter
- Treasurer- Lizzy Stamper
- Secretary- Steven Chen
- Other Exec Board members: N/A
Recent Events and Opportunities
- New Voices in History (October 2022): Dr. Gondola, Dr. Makalani, Dr. Ali Noor, and Dr. Turner spoke about their work in areas of historical interest that have been overlooked systematically overlooked. The event aimed to exhibit the growing diversity of the history department at Hopkins.
- Why Baltimore? (November 2022): Dr. Jackson and Dr. Harms spoke about the important, problematic, and complex relationship between Baltimore and Johns Hopkins.
- End of the Year Reception (December 2022): An opportunity for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty in the history department to celebrate the end of the semester together.
- Why Write a Senior Thesis? (March 2023): Professor Pearsall and the 2023 senior thesis writers spoke about their rewarding experiences doing their own undergraduate research and writing a thesis.
- Alumni Networking Event (April 2023): Alumni Vadim Schick (Chief Legal Counsel and Practice Group Leader for Johns Hopkins Healthcare Operations), Eric Miller (Baltimore attorney and arbitrator), and Rollin Hu (fact-checker for Ezra Klein at The New York Times) spoke about the value of a Hopkins education in history, especially in the context of their careers.
- End of the Year Ice Cream Social (April 2023): an opportunity for undergraduates, graduates, and faculty in the history department to celebrate the end of the semester together with ice cream!