Posted: August 25, 2023
American Painting & Sculpture Intern
Application deadline: Sunday, September 10, 2023.
The BMA’s American Painting and Sculpture Department is seeking a
Fall Intern to support research in 20th century American art, histories,
and objects. This work will include examining the touch and tactility of
painting, sculpture, textiles, ceramics, works on paper, and installation
The Intern will assist with research, documentation, and with building a
bibliography. Their work will support a planned future reinstallation of
the American Art galleries at the BMA that will reframe the canon of
American art by focusing on works by women, Black, Native American,
and other underrepresented artists that will also consider the impact of
tactility and accessibility in museum presentations of artworks.
- Research general histories of American 20th century objects
- Compile bibliographies of various museum period galleries
- Conduct research on objects in the BMA’s collection
- Manage initial data entry and tracking research results
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience working in a database
- Writing/Communication skills
- Research skills
- This position will be a hybrid work structure (onsite/virtual)
- This position will meet 2-3 days during the week.
Please see below for more program details and how to apply. All
application materials must be submitted by Sunday, September 10th,
Fall 2023 Internship Details & Application Instructions
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Graduate or Undergraduate Program
- Recent graduate from an accredited program (within 5 years)
- PhD candidate
Please note that if an Internship has a specific education requirement, that will
be clearly indicated in the description.
The information below indicates general scheduling and commitment requirements for
our Internship Program:
- Selected candidates will be expected to work from October 16-December 15,
- Interns will not work the week of November 20th-24th for Thanksgiving break
- Most positions will meet 2-3 days per week*
- Interns will work 15 hours per week
- If you require a specific number of hours or are planning to do this Internship for
credit, please state your hourly requirements in your cover letter.
A unique schedule will be created with each selected candidate based on their
BMA Internship Program Stipend
Baltimore Museum of Art Interns are awarded a $1,000 stipend. The stipend is distributed
in two installments throughout the Internship.
Required Application Materials
Please submit the following documents to complete your application:
- Cover Letter
- Reference: contact details should be listed on either your resume or cover letter
- Applicants applying for a Graphic Design position must also include a link to their
Submitting Application Materials
Materials may be sent via the following options (please only choose one submission
- You may upload and submit your documents through the following form:
- You may send your documents to the following e-mail address:
o firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate the position or positions you are
applying for in the subject line).
Notification of Decision
The application review process will begin after the application deadline has closed.
Applicants selected for an interview will be notified in the weeks following that date. All
applicants will be notified when a position has been filled.
Any additional questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please, no